Whitby Town 0 NFU 2 (Evo Prem)

Whitby Town 0-2 North Ferriby United

Ferriby deservedly gained the points in a match that was dominated by strong winds blowing down the pitch throughout the match.

Due to injuries and suspensions, The Villagers had to play a much changed team. The back four had not played together before with recent signings Dominic Riordan and Anthony Lloyd lining-up with club captain Paul Foot and Kevin Larvin. The influential Chris Bolder and Paul Harsley were also missing from midfield where Gregg Anderson made an excellent debut.

Whitby played the first-half with the wind behind them but failed to really make use of it. The conditions meant that Ferriby were defending for most of the half. The performance of the whole team was superb as they closed down Whitby's attacks.

Ferriby keeper Steve Wilson was only seriously troubled on three occasions before half-time. In the 11th minute he tipped over an in-swinging corner from Jeff Smith. In the 44th minute Wilson made a diving one-handed save from an Ashley Lyth shot. Just on half-time Lyth's cross shot beat Wilson but came back off the inside of the post.

Playing against the wind limited Ferriby's opportunities and the closest they came to scoring was a Gary Bradshaw shot that was held by home keeper Nick Liversedge.

Whitby came-out after half-time looking for a goal and with the wind dropping slightly they exerted some early pressure but could create no chances.

Wayne Brooksby opened the scoring in the 47th minute when he cut into the penalty area from the right before unleashing a low-cross-shot that went in at the far-post.

Whitby replied with a Jimmy Beadle shot that was deflected off Anderson for a corner. Wilson then tipped a Tom Portas shot over the bar.

As the wind picked-up again, Ferriby started to take more control of the match. They adapted to the wind much better than Whitby.

Gary Bradshaw's 20 yard free-kick midway through the half was tipped over by Liversedge. From the resulting corner, Russell Fry's in-swinging corner from the left beat everybody to find the back of the net.

With the wind continuing to blow strongly, few chances were created. Ferriby controlled the game and fully deserved their win.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented after, "I'm really pleased with the result. It was a tremendous team performance in difficult conditions. We kept our shape throughout the game and adapted well to the conditions."

Ferriby's next match is on January 2nd when they play Worksop Town at home with a 3 o'clock kick-off.


Man of the Match: Paul Foot (NFU)

Attendance: 314

Ferriby: Steve Wilson, Anthony Lloyd , Kevin Larvin, Dominic Riordan, Paul Foot(c), Gregg Anderson, Wayne Brooksby, Russell Fry, Danny Clarke (James Bennett, 73), Gary Bradshaw, Alex Davidson. Subs not used: Sam Belcher, James Williams, Timothy Taylor, Rob Moy

Whitby: Nick Liversedge,  Ashley Lyth,  Mark Robinson (c), Ibrahim Hassan, Alex White, Darren Williams (Matty Tymon, 85) Tom Portas Billy Blackford, 70), Jimmy Beadle (,Callum Martin, 75), Jamie Clarke, Andy Appleby, Jeff Smith. Subs not used: Andrew Leeson Tom Courtney