Whitby T v NFU

Whitby Town 0-1 North Ferriby United

North Ferriby picked up all three points from their trip to the seaside as they overcame Whitby Town by a single goal.  After a cagey and frustrating opening period short on clear-cut chances, Ferriby were finally able to make their superiority count in the second period, with Alex Davidson, deputising for injured top scorer Gary Bradshaw, grabbing the winner.

After the hosts had a couple of half chances through Jimmy Beadle's free kick and Tony Hackworth's scuffed low drive, Ferriby began dominating possession in the first 45 minutes, but had little in the way of goal-scoring opportunities to show for it.  Whitby keeper Nick Liversedge caught Sam Denton's 25 yard free kick, and blocked Alex Davidson's narrow-angled shot after the striker had been played in by Chris White.  Russell Fry had the best opportunity of opening the scoring, his stabbed effort curling just wide of the far post.  Liversedge was only troubled once more in the first half, blocking from close range when Davidson slid onto Wayne Brooksby's ball across the box.

Ferriby instantly showed themselves to be a more effective attacking force in the second half.  Liversedge had to smother White's first time shot from Davidson's cross-field ball, while a Davidson flick after some good footwork set up Chris Bolder only for the midfielder to miscue his effort wide.  The deadlock finally looked to have been broken when Davidson found himself bearing down on goal with only the keeper to beat, but his decision to round Liversedge proved the wrong one and Kevin Burgess was able to clear off the Whitby line.  On 64 minutes, Brooksby ran onto a through ball and cut inside to play a ball across the box which left Davidson with the easiest of finishes and finally put Ferriby ahead.  In the final 20 minutes, the home side finally started to threaten the Ferriby goal.  Steve Wilson saved low from David McTiernan's deflected snapshot, and ensured the points were safe by parrying Jamie Owens' 25-yarder, allowing Kevin Larvin to hook the ball clear.  ‘All in all it was a job well done' commented Ferriby assistant manager John Anderson, ‘once we went ahead we kept them at bay and they simply had no answer to us.'

 Man of the Match: Wayne Brooksby (North Ferriby)

 Attendance: 266

Ferriby: Steve Wilson (c), Tom Matthews, Kevin Larvin, Sam Denton, Paul Ellender, Paul Harsley, Wayne Brooksby (James Williams, 90), Chris Bolder, Russell Fry, Alex Davidson (Gareth Owen, 79), Chris White  Subs not used: Peter Davidson, Ben Turner, Ben Hallam

 Whitby: Nick Liversedge, Andrew Leeson, Chris Batchelor, Ibrahim Hassan (David McTiernan, 39), Kevin Burgess, Ashley Lyth, Corey Barnes, Jimmy Beadle, Tony Hackworth (c) (Ashley Davis, HT), Leon Scott, Jamie Owens  Subs not used: Darren Craddock, Stephen Oakley, David Campbell