Stocksbridge PS v NFU (Evo LC 4)

Stocksbridge Park Steels 3-2 North Ferriby United

A much-changed North Ferriby United side bowed out of the Evo Stik League Cup with a narrow 3-2 defeat in an end-to-end encounter away at Stocksbridge Park Steels. John Anderson's side fielded a starting line-up with eight changes from Saturday's defeat to league leaders Halifax.

Ferriby grabbed a fourth-minute opener courtesy of two young men making their first team debuts, Luke Thompson making himself space on the right flank before centring a low ball for Jonathan Creek to stab home. The equaliser would arrive just seven minutes later, defender Richard Haigh rising highest to head home Luke Federenko's corner. Stocksbridge took the game to Ferriby for the remainder of the half, and spurned numerous golden opportunities to take the lead. The pace of Jack Muldoon down the left flank proved a constant threat to the Ferriby defence, Muldoon's crosses set up near misses from Stuart Ludlum and Steve Wilkinson. Adam Nicklin, making his Ferriby debut in goal, did well to turn a dipping effort from Wilkinson round the post later in the half, but the South Yorkshire side finally had their lead on 34 minutes, a Muldoon centre resulted in Paul Foot putting the ball into his own net.

Ferriby instantly looked a more potent attack threat once the second half began, and won themselves a penalty on 47 minutes when Haigh brought down Chris White. Alex Davidson sent Ben Scott the wrong way from the spot to even the scores. 11 minutes later and the hosts were back ahead, Ludlum's cross being met with a smart diving header by Richard Stirrup. Two spectacular attempts nearly had Ferriby back level, Peter Davidson struck the crossbar with a 30-yard piledriver, and brother Alex saw a diving scissor kick turned round the post by the dive of Scott. Nicklin produced his own contender for save of the match when he acrobatically pushed Muldoon's half volley wide, and Muldoon's otherwise fine performance was marred in stoppage time when the Stocksbridge winger picked up a surprise straight red card for a late studded challenge on Wayne Brooksby. Ferriby also ended the game with ten men on the field due to an injury to Peter Davidson after all three substitutions had been used.

Man of the Match: Jack Muldoon (Stocksbridge)

Attendance: 54

Ferriby: Adam Nicklin, James Williams, Kevin Larvin, Ryan Levesley (Sam Belcher, 67), Paul Foot (c), Wayne Brooksby, Luke Thompson, Peter Davidson, Alex Davidson (Gary Bradshaw, 74), Chris White, Jonathan Creek (Luke Byron, 74) Subs not used: Ben Morley

Stocksbridge: Ben Scott, Stuart Ludlum, Kevin Davies (c), Richard Haigh, Kevin Dawson, Steve Wilkinson, Luke Federenko (Colin Marrison, 69), Richard Stirrup, Andy Ring (Mark Ward, 74), Jack Muldoon, Chris Hall Subs not used: Brett Lovell, Alex Callery, Darren Schofield