Stocksbridge PS 7 v NFU 0 (Evo Prem)

 Stocksbridge Park Steels 7-0 North Ferriby United

‘Today's standard of football was below the level acceptable at this football club, and I can only apologise to the supporters'. These were the words of North Ferriby United chairman Les Hare as the Villagers shipped seven goals on the road at Stocksbridge Park Steels, the club's heaviest defeat in twenty years, going back to a 7-1 reverse away at North Shields on 25th January 1992.

In front of a crowd almost three times their average, enticed by the promise of free admission at Bracken Moor, the home side were ahead inside two minutes, Richard Stirrup's free kick into the box being flicked home by Matt Telling. Just three minutes later, Jack Muldoon disposed Gregg Anderson on the left hand side, and though the Ferriby defender recovered to block Muldoon's eventual shot, he couldn't stop Alex Callery tucking away the rebound. After being caught cold in the opening ten minutes, Ferriby nearly found their way back into the game when Gary Bradshaw guided his free kick onto the head of Chris Bolder, and only an impressive reflex save by Ben Scott denied the midfielder his 7th of the season. However, the action soon returned to the Ferriby half, and a Stirrup cross was flicked beyond Steve Wilson by Scott Hogan to make it three. Muldoon then added a fourth ten minutes before the break, firing past Wilson one-on-one with the keeper getting a touch but unable to stop the ball rolling over the line. Ferriby looked to be going into the break with at least something to build on when home skipper Brett Lovell was adjudged to have fouled Alex Davidson in the box, but Scott was able to block Davidson's spot kick.

Just three minutes into the second half the hosts put the result beyond reasonable doubt, having created two goals already, Stirrup grabbed one of his own after teeing himself up for a half volley into the bottom corner. Ferriby showed much more resolve going forward in the second period, Bradshaw firing a Wayne Brooksby cross narrowly wide on the turn and Davidson forcing Scott to palm away for a corner. After Wilson had denied Hogan one-on-one, and done very well to block a close-range Muldoon effort, the sixth goal arrived with twenty minutes left on the clock; Callery releasing former Ferriby man Mark Whitehouse to scamper down the left and find the bottom corner. An embarrassing day for the Villagers was complete with a minute or normal time remaining, when a slip by Paul Foot let in Darren Stevenson, and after Wilson blocked his shot fellow substitute Ryan Harrison tapped into an empty net.

Man of the Match: Richard Stirrup (Stocksbridge)

Attendance: 427

Ferriby: Steve Wilson, Anthony Lloyd (James Williams, HT), Kevin Larvin, Lee Morris (Paul Harsley, HT), Lee Morris, Paul Foot (c), Gregg Anderson, Wayne Brooksby, Russell Fry, Chris Bolder, Gary Bradshaw, Alex Davidson (Danny Clarke, 76) Subs not used: Dominic Riordan, Adam Nicklin

Stocksbridge: Ben Scott, Daryl Weston, Mark Whitehouse, Richard Haigh (Harry Backarie, 76), Brett Lovell (c), Anthony Tansley (Ryan Harrison, 70), Richard Stirrup, Matt Telling, Jack Muldoon, Scott Hogan (Darren Stevenson, 79), Alex Callery Subs not used: Brian Cusworth, Kevin Davies