NFU v Hull City (ERSC SF)


North Ferriby United 3-2 Hull City XI

North Ferriby United battled their way into the East Riding Senior Cup final, overcoming a youthful Hull City side at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium through Alex Davidson's 87th minute winner.  The Villagers now have a chance of lifting the cup for the fifth consecutive year at the KC Stadium in May. 

 Ferriby had the first clear sight of goal in the opening minutes, Wayne Brooksby sent Alex Davidson through on goal, but Hull keeper Billy Ward slid in to block the striker's effort.  Ward foiled further Ferriby chances when he parried Brooksby's free kick and later saved Paul Foot's near post header from Russell Fry's corner.  So it was very much against the run of play that City took the lead on 26 minutes; Ferriby defender Sam Denton failed to control a loose ball on the edge of the box and Mark Cullen raced in to fire past Adam Nicklin at close range.  After Nicklin did well to catch a stinging drive from Toby Ajala, Ferriby levelled the scores three minutes from half time when Chris Bolder picked out Alex Davidson on edge of the box, who centred the ball to give Brooksby an easy finish.

 Ferriby began the second half much as they began the first, and Ward had to hold onto a lob from Davidson, and then the home side took the lead on 59 minutes when Ben Turner found Bolder, who pulled the ball back for Kevin Larvin to run on and slot home into the bottom corner.  After Ward had to deal with another lob from Paul Harsley, Danny East missed a golden chance to level for the Tigers when he put Danny Emerton's cross wide from point blank range.  City eventually grabbed their equaliser in somewhat fortuitous circumstances; Nicklin held onto Connor Townsend's header from Emerton's corner, but lost balance and landed the wrong side of the line for an unfortunate own goal.  With the scores level going into the final five minutes, a Nicklin goal kick bypassed midfield and found Davidson, who smartly beat Ward one-on-one.  Cullen could have taken the game into extra time in the dying seconds, but his dipping shot landed on the roof of the net.

 Man of the Match: Alex Davidson (North Ferriby)

 Attendance: 185

 Ferriby: Adam Nicklin, Paul Harsley, Ben Turner, Sam Denton, Paul Foot (c), Peter Davidson (James Williams, 71), Russell Fry, Chris Bolder, Alex Davidson, Wayne Brooksby (Luke Thompson, 84), Kevin Larvin  Subs not used: Steve Burton, Steve Wilson

 Hull City: Billy Ward, Danny East, Dean Deagle, Dean Lisles (Joe Fox, HT), Danny Wilkinson, Sonny Bradley (c), Danny Emerton, Gavin Holohan, Mark Cullen, Toby Ajala (Joe Cooper, 62), Jamie Devitt (Connor Townsend, HT)  Subs not used: Joe Cracknell, Francis McCaffrey