Mickleover Sports v NFU

Mickleover Sports  3  NFU 4

Brooksby stunner gives Villagers late win

 A stunning late goal from Wayne Brooksby earned the Villagers a deserved victory in an entertaining Evostil League Premier Division game at newly promoted Mickleover Sports.

Ferriby had the better of the early stages with Gary Bradshaw being hauled back by a defender when about to break clear and Paul Ellender having a header deflected for a corner. Bradshaw was fouled in the area in the 14th minute.Taking the penalty himself, but the ball managed to hit diving keeper Ed Eley's legs and bounce clear.

Three minutes later and somewhat against the run of play Mickleover took the lead. Danny Martin chipped a twenty yard free-kick over the Ferriby wall and into Steve Wilson's top right corner. This boosted the home side and both Liam Walsh and Eric Graves went close to increasing the lead.

Ferriby then started to exert control with Bradshaw, Brooksby and Chris White causing no end of problems for the Sports defenders. Russell Fry and Chris Bolder were starting to control midfield. Fry had a 25 yard shot saved by a diving Eley then a superb move involving Fry, White and Bradshaw ended with Brooksby shooting narrowly over. Bradshaw saw a 35  yard free-kick turned for a corner by Eley.

Two goals in a minute saw Ferriby take command. In the 30th Brooksby's cross from the right was fumbled by Eley and in the resulting scramble Fry scored from close range. Almost immediately, a good move out of defence down the left saw White's well-placed cross headed powerfully home by Bolder.

Ferriby continued to press and Eley saved well from White and a Paul foot header was cleared off the line.

Against the run of play, Mickleover equalised. With the defence caught square, Eric Graves was played-in to slip the ball past Wilson. Wilson was called into action just before half-time, saving well from Graves.

The second half was played in persistent rain which made the playing surface difficult. Both teams, to their credit continues to play entertaining football. Ferriby had three early chances. First, Ben Turner shot straight at Eley then White's 70 yard run and pass to Fry saw Fry's cross deflected for a corner. From the corner, Ellender headed just wide. Finally Bradshaw's cross picked out Bolder who perhaps had more time and space than he thought to place his header.

Ferriby were dominant at this stage and Mickleover were limited to sporadic attackes. Ashton shot straight at Wilson and  a tantalising cross from Walshe was deflected for a corner.

The Villagers continued to press. Bradshaw was denied by a last ditch as he was about to shoot and Brooksby had a shot turned for a corner. White shot narrowly wie after another good move.

Ferriby were stunned in the 85th minute when a right wing cross was hit home by Martin for a Mickleover equaliser.

However, the resilience that Ferriby displayed last season re-asserted itself and within a minute they were back in the lead. A flowing move involving Ellender and Bradshaw ended with Brooksby's powerfully angled cross-shot flying past a startled Eley to give Ferriby the points.

Ferriby Assistant Manager John Anderson, in charge of the team due to neil allison's business commitments, was delighted at picking up the first points of the season, "It  was a good performance against a team with a very good home record. The players showed a lot of character after missing the penalty and falling a goal behind.. We controlled the second half and deserved the win."

This win will have boosted The Villagers ahead of Saturday's match at Burscough.