Marine 2 NFU 2 (Evo Prem)


Bradshaw double gains late point for Villagers

Marine 2  North Ferriby United  2


A Gary Bradshaw goal in added time saw the Villagers win a point in a dramatic finish. When Dean Siadankay headed in unchallenged at the far post in the 88th minute it seemed that Ferriby would lose a game that they had controlled and then dominated for the last hour. However, such is the spirit in John Anderson's side that they equalised immediately to gain the point that was the very least their performance deserved.

The game opened slowly and fairly evenly. Russell Fry almost opened the scoring for Ferriby after a good run but his 25 yard shot went narrowly wide.  Marine shook Ferriby after nine minutes with the opening goal. A Ferriby attach broke down by Marine's left corner flag. The ball was played out to Stephen Johnson whose long touchline run ended with him squaring the ball to Steve Hussey who touched it on for Liam Rushton to hammer home past Steve Wilson.

Play continued end to end and Wilson had to be alert to come out of his goal to clear from the ever dangerous Jamie Rainford. Shortly after there was a similar situation at the opposite end when home keeper Ryan McMahon saved from Chris Bolder.

Ferriby almost conceded a second goal after 30 minutes when Johnson's inswinging corner was cleared off the line at the far post.

From this point, The Villagers began to take control of the game with Alex Davidson going close on three occasions. Firstly a mazy run ended with his 20 yard drive being parried by McMahon, then a snap shot went narrowly wide and finally another goal-bound shot was blocked  by a defender and but Bradshaw's header was acrobatically kicked off the line by Michael Jackson.

The second-half was virtually dominated by Ferriby. McMahon made four good saves in the first eight minutes from Bolder, twice, Fry and Davidson. Ferriby continued to open-up the Marine defence. Marine's attacks were sporadic, largely relying on long balls to make use of Rainford's pace and the height advantage that they had.

The equaliser came in the 60th minute. Tom Matthews broke up a Marine attack by the right corner flag. Taking a few steps downfield he hit a superb 60 yard crossfield pass to Wayne Brooksby on the left.  His run ended with him crossing to Bradshaw who fired past McMahon for a deserved equaliser.

Ferriby continued to dominate but some determined defence from Marine prevented The Villagers creating any clear-cut chances. Bothe Sam Denton and Bradshaw shot over from outside the area.

Marine came back into the game with a short spell of pressure but the Ferriby defence coped well.

After 82 minutes substitute Chris White hit a marvellous drive against the bar with McMahon beaten and Brooksby's shot from the rebound was blocked. Four minutes later another penetrating Ferriby move saw Russell Fry blast over from 12 yards with the goal at his mercy.

This spurred Marine and Wilson was forced to save well from Rainford. This was immediately followed by Siadankay's goal which seemed to have wrapped-up an undeserved three points for Marine.

This Ferriby side does not give-up though. A break down the right ended with Bradshaw turning two defenders before placing the ball past McMahon. Brooksby almost clinched a win for Ferriby in the dying moments but his header was saved by McMahon.

New manager Anderson was pleased with the team's performance: "I thought the first half was even but we dominated in the second and could have won. The players showed great spirit to get a second equaliser after conceding so late in the game and refusing to let their heads go down."

Marine: Ryan McMahon, Paul Lundon, John Shaw,Michael Jackson, Dean Siadankay, Steven Hussey,
Stephen Johnson (Thomas Moore 63 , Lee Parle, Liam Rushton (Sean Doherty 69), Jamie Rainford, Stephen Brown(Neil Harvey 79) Non-playing subs: Jonathan Goulding, Joe Fowler

NFU: Steve Wilson, Tom Matthews,Ben Turner, Sam Denton, Steve Burton, Paul Harsley, Wayne Brooksby, Chris Bolder, Russell Fry, Gary Bradshaw, Alex Davidson (Chris White 79). Non-playing subs: Kevin Larvin, Peter Davidson, Ben Morley, Ben Hallam

Att 306