Chasetown 2 NFU 2


Chasetown 2-2 North Ferriby United
Evostik League Premier Division

The Villagers gained a well-deserved point at Chasetown and may feel a little unfortunate to have not won the match. Peter Davidson was on the bench following his unexpected return from Australia.

Ferriby got off to a rather sluggish start as Chasetown opened the match brightly. In the sixth minute Ferriby keeper Steve Wilson palmed away a shot from Dean Perrow and Ben Turner completed the clearance. Two minutes later Chasetown took the lead when Mark Branch's right-wing corner eventually found Ben Jevons who had time and space to head past Wilson.

Ferriby were struggling to find their rhythm and getting their usually slick passing-game together on a a very heavy pitch. Wilson had to save another Jevons header after 17 minutes.

In the 21st minute a long move from Ferriby saw Alex Davidson's low cross from the right hit first-time by Russell Fry but the shot was narrowly wide. Chasetown responded with a break by Branch who shot straight at Wilson who saved comfortably.

Ferriby now began to take control of the game and it was no surprise when Gary Bradshaw equalised after 30 minutes. His low cross shot from the left edge of the penalty area finding the far corner of the goal following a partially cleared Fry corner.

This spurred-on Ferriby and Chris Bolder was just beaten to a Sam Denton through-ball by home keeper Ryan Price. Denton, himself, then went close with a header from a Paul Harsley free-kick. On half-time, Chasetown regained the lead against the run of play. Steve Wilson's punched clearance fell to Ramone Stephens just outside the area and the striker hit home a first-time shot through the packed area.

Two minutes in to the second half and Ferriby were leve when Bolder rose to head home  Fry free-kick. The Villagers began to largely control the game from this point. Their passing became more fluent and, like other opponents this season, Chasetown found it hard to combat.

Bolder, again, and James Williams both went close to giving the Villagers the lead. Ferriby were stunned after 77 minutes when, to everyone's surprise Denton was penalised for what appeared to be a perfectly good tackle on Jevons. The striker took the penalty himself but Wilson got down well to beat it away.

Ferriby responded with Ben Turner and Bradshaw both going close. Three minutes from the end Wayne Brooksby chased-down a ball that seemed to be going out for a goal kick and was brought down by Matty Cohen as he went past him. Brooksby's penalty was well-struck but Price managed to push it on to the post and the follow-up shot was cleared off the line. Not for the first time this season, Ferriby were left ruing a missed penalty.

Manager John Anderson was pleased with the point, "Chasetown had the better of us for the first 20 minutes but we got back into the game and whilst we were not quite as slick with our passing as we were before the bad weather, we played well. We had chances to have won but a draw was perhaps a fair result."

 Attendance: 428

 Ferriby: Steve Wilson (c), James Williams, Ben Turner, Sam Denton, Steve Burton, Paul Harsley, Russell Fry, Chris Bolder (Peter Davidson 83), Alex Davidson, Gary Bradshaw, Chris White(Wayne Brooksby, 72)  Subs not used: Kevin Larvin, Paul Foot, Ben Hallam

 Chasetown: Ryan Price, Chris Slater, Mark Branch, Matty Cohen, Richard Davies, Richard Teesdale (c), Ramone Stephens (Grant Ryan 83), Dave Egan, Gary Birch, Dean Perrow Danny Smith 65), Ben Jevons